March 2, 2015

This Week's SFR Picks

Newsletters

* indicates required
Choose your newsletter(s):
February 4, 2015 by Peter St. Cyr  
February 18, 2015 by Peter St. Cyr  
February 11, 2015 by Emily Zak  
February 11, 2015 by Joey Peters  

Special Issues

Protesting the PARCC

Suspended teens want meeting with state officals about the standardized test

Local News A dozen Santa Fe High School students stood in front of the state Public Education Department today, calling for a meeting with Public Education Department Secretary Hanna Skandera over testing that they say goes too far. ... More

Feb. 25, 2015 by Joey Peters

 

 
Home / Articles / News / News Briefs /  Nuclear Option
Brief2

Nuclear Option

May 20, 2014, 12:00 am

Last time we checked in with local filmmaker Adam Horowitz, he was in the midst of a scuffle with Public Broadcasting Service over his documentary on the effects of US nuclear weapons tests in the Marshall Islands between 1946 and 1958.

It’s a fight that continues.

Last month, Horowitz says a Honolulu-based affiliate of the public television station requested that he cut his film for a third time, this time down to 30 minutes—or 35 percent of its original 86-minute running length. Horowitz reluctantly agreed to work with them on a new cut.

“It’s better if they show a half-hour version of the film than nothing,” he says.

Still, he says he hasn’t heard from PBS since then.

Though the network funded Horowitz’ research for Nuclear Savage: The Islands of Secret Project 4.1, it has repeatedly dragged its feet on airing the film.

Meanwhile, despite finishing a final cut more than two years ago, Nuclear Savage is still making the rounds in film festivals across the globe. Recently, it’s been screened in Tahiti and Fiji and is scheduled to show soon in New Zealand, France and Japan. In total, Horowitz says the film has been screened in 18 countries and has won five top festival awards.

Officials from the Marshall Islands were back in the news recently because they filed a series of lawsuits in the International Court of Justice against nuclear-armed states, including the US, for alleged violation of international law contained in the 1968 Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty by performing repeated tests there. A related lawsuit was also filed in US District Court in California.

 

comments powered by Disqus
 
Close
Close
Close