he Iron Throne shone, George RR Martin giggled, actor Pedro Pascal game me the vapors and a sword-wielding Mayor Javier Gonzales officially proclaimed today George RR Martin Day across La Villa Real de la Santa Fé de San Francisco de Asís.
10. Getting a chance to gaze at the Iron Throne’s underappreciated backside
9. Mayor Javier Gonzales cutting the ceremonial ribbon, Jaime Lannister-style
8. GRRM sitting in the Throne, thus fulfilling the prophecy published in our May 1, 2013 cover
7. The presence of Pedro Pascal, aka "the Red Viper"
6. Gonzales sitting on the Throne. “I’m getting one of these for City Hall,” he joked.
5. The proclamation itself, which included thanks for not raising “man-eating dragons within the limits of the city,” and keeping “winter at bay.”
6. The Red Viper looking so hot he almost melted the damn Throne
8. GRRM's answer to SFR when asked who is the first character to get killed on season four of GoT: “We have a fairly high body count in the first episode, as I believe,” he said. “And also a fair amount of sex.”
Image via TMB
9. When 11-year-old aspiring novelist Samantha Quintana asked GRRM for advice. His response? "The main thing about being a writer is that you have to write. You have to write every day and you have to keep at it," he said. "It's not an easy job; there will be many discouraging times...people will like your books, people will not like your books—you have to be tough and shrug it off."
10. When the whole thing repeated outside for diehard fans to enjoy
Season four of Game of Thrones premieres April 6 on HBO.