Each of the following quotes pertains to one of three people: Keith Gardner, Gov. Susana Martinez’ chief of staff and a former state legislator; Pat Rogers, Republican National Committeeman, power lawyer and former board member of the New Mexico Foundation for Open Government; and the other Mr. Rogers—as in, Fred Rogers of the TV show “Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood.” Test your knowledge of Emailgate by matching each quote to its author.
Sources: SFR interviews and emails; a recorded conversation between Gardner and his Roswell friend Brian Powell; IMDB and Goodreads.
1. “Your note below says toiletries only. Is this one of those clothing optional, naked babe weekends?”
2. “You’ll be in the paper once they find out we’re friends. But that’s OK. I don’t give a shit.”
3. “When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, ‘Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.’”
4. “Worthless as tits on a boar hog.”
5. “Quislings, French surrender monkeys…The state is going to hell.”
6. “I never email on my state email anything that can come back to bite my ass. It’s all done offline. I never—shit, I never use my state email because it is all done on different stuff ’cause I don’t want to go to court or jail.”
7. “It’s easy to take a gun and annihilate your opposition, but what is really exciting to me is to see people with differing views come together and finally respect each other.”
8. “‘Write me the fucking ticket or leave me alone…You know, if you write the ticket, I’m going to get it dismissed because my dad is a judge.’”
9. “I hate fucking [Senate Pro Tem President and Democrat] Tim Jennings so bad right now. Oh god, I hate him. He’s a cocksucking son of a bitch.”
10. “You dumb fuck.”
11. “The special session kicked my ass. I hate those fuckers.”
12. “We all need to be loved.”
13. Subject line, June 1, 2013 email to Joey Peters and Justin Horwath: “Any guesses about what the future might hold?”
Text of email: “What, no calls? No emails, no apologies, no retractions, no regrets, no comments?”
14. “It can sometimes be easier to forgive our enemies than our friends.”
KEY: 1. Pat Rogers; 2. Keith Gardner; 3. Fred Rogers; 4. Keith Gardner; 5. Pat Rogers; 6. Keith Gardner; 7. Fred Rogers; 8. Keith Gardner; 9. Keith Gardner; 10. Pat Rogers; 11. Keith Gardner; 12. Fred Rogers; 13. Pat Rogers; 14. Fred Rogers.
News HomeCover StoriesLocal News7 DaysLetters to the EditorOverheardBlue CornSEXedSchool ReformedThe Yawp BarbaricStreet View40th AnniversaryMother Tongue
Guides HomeBest of Santa Fe VotingBest of Santa Fe 2013Santa Fe ManualRestaurant GuideLocal Directory