“I had a late breakfast so I won’t be eating,” known County Fair enthusiast and former SFR editor Julia Goldberg told me over the phone. The plan was to meet at the fairgrounds in 20 minutes for an impromptu outing. The yearly event, she said, is the highlight of her summer and a quintessentially Santa Fe experience.
Late breakfast or not, we would soon be taking in the sights and gorging ourselves like prized pigs.
Here are some of the top sights:
15. These award-winning cakes, kept behind lock and key
14. The daddy of all local pastries
13. This impressive specimen
12. These bejeweled jean pockets
11. An adorable, knitted chocolate bunny
10. This devious doll
9. Awards in belt buckle form
8. Avant-garde livestock couture
7. This impressive goat beauty pageant
6. Bessie, the Honey Boo Boo of the goat circuit getting a last-minute vacuuming
5. GREEN CHILE RIBBON FRIES!
4. And funnel cake for dessert
3. This empty pen where Julia and I rested
2. This stern yet effective life lesson
1. This sweet van
Haven’t gotten a chance to check out the fair yet? Fear not, it goes on ‘till tomorrow, complete with a three-legged race and a “Meet-a-Mule” demonstration.